A 44-year-old man from Thailand met his maker after suffering from hypothermia. According to various reports, the man slept with three electric fans blowing at him, causing his body temperature to drop significantly.
Sobthawee Boonkua was staying in the Chaiyaphum Muang district with his brother to take care of their sick mother, Udom Boonkua. Because he was not originally from that district, Sobthawee was not accustomed to the place’s weather and did not know that the temperature there was erratic.
One hot night, as Sobthawee was trying to sleep, he decided to turn on three electric fans to cool himself. Little did he know that the temperature would drop drastically in the early morning, causing his body to suffer from hypothermia.
According to Web MD, hypothermia is a “potentially dangerous drop in body temperature, usually caused by prolonged exposure to cold temperatures”.
The next morning, Sobthawee’s body was found without life. Lt. Colonel Thanasit Apiboonworaset of Muang Chaiyaphum police arrived at around 8:30 in the morning with a medical examiner, who confirmed that the cause of the victim’s exit from this mortal realm was hypothermia. The coroner said Sobthawee’s body went in shock shortly after his body failed to adjust to the sudden cold.
The cause of Sobthawee’s life’s end is not uncommon. The Washington Post reports that in 2015, over 800 people in the United States suffered from hypothermia and met their maker. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that from 1999 to 2011, 16,911 lives in the same country were made no more because of exposure to excessive natural cold. This means that every year, an average of 1,301 people experience hypothermia.
When Sobthawee’s family found out what happened to him, they accepted his fate. They immediately prepared for his wake and interment, still mourning that he was no longer with them.